This InstallFest is a set of step-by-step instructions for installing Ruby, Rails, and other important tools on Mac, Windows, or Linux computers. Originally developed for the Railsbridge Workshops, it is a community-supported open-source documentation project. If you want to contribute, click the [git] link at the top-right corner of any page and submit your change on GitHub.
Step 1: Prepare for the Install Fest
You must bring:
- Your laptop. You need to have a working wifi connection and a browser.
- If you have a choice between a Mac and a Windows laptop, please bring the Mac.
- Linux is an acceptable alternative, but the Installfest is only tested on Ubuntu.
- Power cord for your laptop
- If you already have accounts on Heroku or GitHub, make sure you know your username and password.
Possibly also helpful to bring:
- Extension cord
- Power strip
Step 2: Don't Panic!
Even if you get stuck, please go through the rest of the instructions and download all the things you'll need. Bandwidth will be at a premium during the workshop, so it will help immensely to have everything on your laptop already.
There are a lot of steps, and the instructions may seem like they're in a foreign language, but: don't panic! By the end of the workshop, you'll know what everything is and how to use it.
Step 3: Read This Overview
You will be installing the following tools:
- KomodoEdit (or some editor)
- Various useful "ruby gems", including...
You will also create an account on Heroku, an application hosting platform.
If you already have an account on Heroku, make sure you know your username and password.